• By Mercedes C Parham
  • Monday, July 30, 2018

Fort Benning Transfer (FBT) Applications

Under Georgia Act 31, children of military service members, who live on Fort Benning, are allowed to attend any public school located within the Muscogee County School District, if space is available for additional enrollment. Parents may complete an application for a Fort Benning Transfer (FBT) request on site at the Central Registration Office in the Muscogee County Public Education Center, 2960 Macon Road, Columbus, Georgia, 31906. The application must be completed at the time of registration and submitted to the Central Registration Office staff.

Four schools are not eligible for FBT requests:
  1. Britt David Magnet Academy
  2. Clubview Elementary School
  3. Columbus High School
  4. Rainey-McCullers School of the Arts

FBT request decisions are considered on a case-by-case basis and determined based on space available at the requested school. Parents or legal guardians who apply for an FBT request are notified of their applicant status by phone or e-mail. FBT requests are automatically denied when there are no available seats at the requested school due to class size restrictions. There are no appeals for FBT decisions. If approved,the parent or legal guardian is responsible for transportation of the student(s) to and from school.

Required registration documents include:
  1. The child’s birth certificate
  2. Child’s social security card
  3. Withdrawal form from previous school or last report card during June and July
  4. Two proofs of address: 1. a lease, a mortgage, or property tax; and 2. a current utility bill, which states the name and service address
  5. If the parent or legal guardian lives with someone, the owner of the residence must come with the legal parent or guardian and provide the required proofs of address and photo identification. Both parties are required to complete an affidavit, which must be signed and notarized at the time of registration.
  6. Proof from The Villages permitting the parent or legal guardian and student to reside at the residence must be provided.
  7. If the child has special needs, parents and legal guardians should provide the Individual Education Plan (IEP), Section 504 Plan, eligibility verification, and psychological evaluation report.
For more information, contact the Central Registration Office, 706-748-3217.

The mission of the Muscogee County School District is to inspire and equip all students to achieve unlimited potential. For more information, please contact the Office of Communications at 706.748.2034 or communications@muscogee.k12.ga.us.