Muscogee County School District
2960 Macon Road Columbus, GA 31906
Columbus, GA –
For Immediate Release
Director of Communications and Open Records Officer
Office: (706) 748-2034
Fax: (706) 748-2036
The District has implemented guidelines to address the posting of final grades, awarding of credit, promotion/retention decisions, and graduation for the 2019-2020 school year. Grading procedures will be applied to student work from March 12 through May 8, 2020. Graduating seniors will have an opportunity to participate in virtual commencement ceremonies scheduled for each high school, May 22, 2020. Live ceremonies have been tentatively re-scheduled for July 22-25, 2020. Final course grading
The following grading parameters were developed with guidance provided by the Georgia Department of Education, in consideration of the unique and disparate learning opportunities available to students after March 12, 2020.
- Each student’s final grades will be calculated as the average of the 1st, 2nd, & 3rd nine weeks’ final grades as of March 12, 2020.
- Each student’s final grades should not be lower than those received up until March 12, 2020.
- Students will continue to complete assignments through May 8, 2020; grades entered will only be used to improve each student’s final grade(s).
- Teachers will continue to instruct students and collect assignments through May 8, 2020.
- Schools will follow the normal grade reporting processes for finalizing the 4th nine weeks.
- All student grades will be entered by May 13, 2020.
- Final report cards will be mailed to home addresses prior to the completion of post-planning.
- Schools will provide additional instructional support opportunities, based upon each student’s overall academic progress, during the High School Summer Credit Recovery Program or K-8 Summer Learning Program for ELA/Reading and Mathematics.
- The schedule for additional instructional support opportunities is contingent upon further COVID-19 guidance issued by Governor Kemp’s Office, the Georgia Department of Public Health, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
For more information and updates related to the District's COVID-19 plan, visit our website.
- Virtual graduation ceremonies for each high school have been scheduled for May 22, 2020 and will be available for public viewing through broadcast and digital platforms.
- The live ceremony schedule is tentative, contingent upon further COVID-19 guidance issued by Governor Kemp’s Office, the Georgia Department of Public Health, and the CDC.
- Please do not secure travel arrangements or non-refundable plans related to the tentative live ceremony schedule until the event receives final approval from our state and national agencies.
- Details related to senior dues and other school-based purchases will be addressed by each high school.
The mission of the Muscogee County School District is to inspire and equip all students to achieve unlimited potential. For more information, please contact the Office of Communications at 706.748.2034 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
# # #