Richards Middle School
Grades 6th - 8th District 8 789 Students2892 Edgewood Road, Columbus, GA 31906
Phone 706-569-3697, Fax 706-569-3704
School Website: http://sites.muscogee.k12.ga.us/richards/
Live Homework Help
- Parents Right to Know.pdf
- Richards Middle School Report Card
- Richards SIP.pdf
- Richards SIP Summary.pdf
- Richards SIP Presentation.pdf
- Richards CNA.pdf
- 2021-2022 Richards Parent and Family Engagement Policy and School-Parent Compact
- 2021-2022 District Parent and Family Engagement Policy (English)
The Mission of the Muscogee County School District is to inspire and equip all students to achieve unlimited potential.
The Mission of Richards IB Program is to prepare students to become life-long learners through international understanding and respect, while still carrying out the Mission of the Muscogee County School District.
Richards, named for Walter Alan Richards, who served as President of the Muscogee County Board of Education from 1950 until his death in 1961, opened its doors on September 5th of the same year. It began as a junior high school serving families in one of the most established neighborhoods in Columbus, Georgia. Steeped in tradition and with a reputation of high academics, Richards became an International Baccalaureate (IB) magnet in 2001. Drawing students, with diverse backgrounds, from across the district and strengthening its name in academic competitions, Richards has empowered students to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect.
Walter Alan Richards’ initials were the impetus for the spirited mascot naming at Richards Middle School, the ‘WARriors!’
To meet the needs of an expanded student population, an addition of eleven classrooms was built in 2001, and in 2013. Richards underwent restorations and new construction of eight classrooms, with the intent of growing the IB program.
Presently, Richards enrollment is 852 students. The school offers the state curriculum plus gifted and special education services, classes in IB, accelerated mathematics, science, Spanish, and fine arts.
The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect. Currently, our student population is 48% IB - 52% Traditional.
Richards Middle School is an authorized International Baccalaureate world school. The information below will provide you with an overview of how the Middle Years Program is implemented here at Richards. If you have any questions, please contact our MYP coordinator, Mrs. Kimberly M. Casleton (Casleton.Kimberly.M@muscogee.k12.ga.us Or 706-569-3697).
- It encourages international mindedness in students, starting with a foundation in their own language and culture.
- It encourages a positive attitude toward learning by challenging students to solve problems, show creativity and resourcefulness, and participate actively in their communities.
- It reflects real life by providing students a way to connect subjects and meaningful issues.
Three Levels of Curriculum
- Written Curriculum
- We teach Georgia Standards of Excellence (GSE).
- Our teachers develop unit plans collaboratively for the benefit of all students.
- Taught Curriculum
- Weekly and daily lesson plans are designed to allow students to explore the content.
- Learning experiences are designed to develop student skills, attitudes, and interests in the content.
- Assessed Curriculum
- Criterion-based formative and summative assessments are designed by teachers to allow students to demonstrate their understanding of the content and MYP objectives at a high cognitive level.
- Our students take all required Georgia Milestones standardized tests.
MYP Objectives and Assessment Criteria
Each subject has four MYP objectives. The objectives of each subject group state the specific targets that are set for learning in that subject group. They define what the student will be able to accomplish as a result of studying the subject. Each objective is elaborated by a number of strands; a strand is an aspect or indicator of the learning expectation.
MYP assessment criteria measure a student’s work against the MYP objectives. Each criterion has four bands and achievement levels from zero to eight. Summative and criterion-based formative assessments are judged against MYP criteria. MYP criteria for all grade levels and subject groups are located at the following link: .
Read more about the The IB Middle Years Program at http://www.ibo.org/myp/
At Richards Middle School, we seek to provide our students with the best educational experience possible, providing our students with a safe environment full of extracurricular opportunities.
Student Council * Model United Nations * Math Team * Drama / Theater * Peer Helpers * National History Day * Spanish Club * Yearbook Staff * National Junior Honor Society * Band * Drumline * Builders Club * Art Club * Science Fair * Science Olympiad * Robotics * Orchestra * Social Science Fair * Academic Bowl Team * Reading Bowl * Reading Club * Broadcast Team * Warriors For Christ * (FCA) Fellowship of Christian Athletes * WyldLife * Velocity * Sewing/Crafting Club * Gaming Club * Mandarin Chinese * FBLA *
- 2020-2021 MCSD PAGE Academic Bowl - 1st Place
- 2020-2021 - Two recipients of the REACH Scholarship
- 2019-2020 Football City Champions
- 2019-2020 Fall Golf B-League Champions
- 2019-2020 Tennis League Placers
- 2019-2020 Muscogee County Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl Champions
- 2019-2020 FLL Robotics Champions Award
- 2019-2020 PAGE Academic Bowl State Competitors
- 2019-2020 MCSD PAGE Academic Bowl - 1st Place
- 2018-2019 Atlanta Urban Debate State Champions - Team Varsity Division
- 2018-2019 Atlanta Urban Debate State Champions - Team Novice Division
- 2018-2019 Atlanta Urban Debate State Champions - Individual Speaker - Novice Division
- 2018-2019 Region Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl Champions
- 2018-2019 Muscogee County Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl Champions
- 2017-2018 Muscogee County Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl Champions
- 2017-2018 Boys Soccer City Champions
- 2016-2017 First Place - Jr. Varsity Division - Robotics Competition
- 2016-2017 Academic Bowl Regional Winners
- 2016-2017 Academic Bowl State Winners
- 2016-2017 Muscogee County Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl Champions
- Math Team Competition Winners
- Football City Champions
- Boys Track City Champions
- 2016-2017Girls Basketball City Champions
- MCSD All Sports Trophy
- Boys and Girls Soccer Division Champions
- High School Algebra 2nd Place in MCSD 75% Growth SY2016
Athletic Department Philosophy:
Participation, performance and competition in the athletic program will focus on the opportunity for students to develop and exhibit skills to the best of their abilities. All athletic squads will be treated with equality. Team and individual performance will be developed and recognized.
Objectives of the Athletic Program:
1. Participation in athletics shall be available to any student expressing a desire to be involved.
2. The values of good sportsmanship and the dynamics of teamwork shall be stressed constantly.
3. The importance of teaching young athletes now to give and receive recognition shall be incorporated into practices and games.
4. The interaction of special friendships and the impact of adult role models should always be a part of the awareness of those working with young athletes.
5. Students shall be challenged to strive for the highest level of excellence for each athlete as they participate and compete.
6. Students shall be given the opportunity to explore the capabilities of their changing physical make-up, with the recognition of the potential for further physical growth.
Richards has a rich tradition of student-athletics in Muscogee County. Go Warriors!
Soccer (boys and girls)
Golf (boys and girls) - Club Sport
Tennis (boys and girls) - Club Sport
Cross Country (boys and girls)
Basketball (boys and girls)
Baseball (boys) - Club Sport
Track (boys and girls)
Wrestling (boys and girls)
Lacrosse/Field Hockey Club/Team (girls)
Partners In Education
- Columbus Water Works
Lance B Henderson