Spencer High School
Grades 9th - 12th District 3 847 Students1000 Ft. Benning Road, Columbus, GA 31903
Phone 706-683-8701, Fax 706-683-8716
School Website: http://sites.muscogee.k12.ga.us/spencer/
- Parents Right to Know.pdf
- Spencer High School Report Card
- Spencer SIP.pdf
- Spencer SIP Summary.pdf
- Spencer SIP Presentation.pdf
- Spencer CNA FY18.pdf
- 19-20 Spencer Parent and Family Engagement Policy
- 19-20 Spencer Spanish Parent and Family Engagement Policy
- 19-20 Spencer School- Parent Compact
- 19-20 Spencer Spanish School- Parent Compact
William Henry Spencer High School was built in 1930 in Columbus, Georgia in honor of Dr. William Henry Spencer. Dr. Spencer was an educator, former principal and the supervisor of the Negro Educational Department. He was dedicated to improving the curriculum of segregated schools and worked diligently to establish courses in the fine arts and vocational arena. The original Spencer building was located on 10th Ave. at 8th Street, until it was destroyed by fire. In 1953, Spencer was relocated to1830 Shepherd Drive. It remained there until the 1970's when the Muscogee County School District voted to move Spencer to its current location at 4340 Victory Drive. We are currently celebrating 86 years of existence.
Spencer High School offers a myriad of opportunities for students including our Academy of Computer Science and Electronic Game Design magnet. The faculty and staff of Spencer are passionate and committed to providing the educational, cognitive, emotional, and developmental support needed to help our students grow into resilient future leaders at home and abroad.
Academic Quick Facts
- Current graduation rate of 79%
- Highest growth in SAT scores in the area
- Conflicts reduced by 75%, highest reduction in the state
- 1 of 7 schools in Georgia to receive School Improvement Grant of over 3.7 million dollars
- Football 2015 State Play-offs
- Track - 2015 Region Runner-up
- Multiple State Finalist Volleyball State Playoffs
- Top 5 2015 State Wrestling team and Individual State Runner-up
Partners In Education
- SHS Alumni Association
- SHS Athletic Appreciation Association
- SHS PTO
The Muscogee County School District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, or military status in its programs and activities and employment practices; MCSD provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups where applicable.
Coordinators have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies; note that any discrimination related inquiry may be directed to Dr. Angela Vickers-Ward for distribution to the appropriate personnel. Further information about the complaint process is available at the Board Policy section of the District website.
Johnny C Freeman