St. Elmo Center for the Gifted
Grades K - 5th District 8 750 Students2101 18th Avenue, Columbus, GA 31901
Phone 706-748-3115, Fax 706-748-3118
School Website: https://mcsd.instructure.com/courses/156351
Live Homework Help
- ESSER III ARPA Plan - Revision 1 102522.pdf
- ESSER III ARPA Plan Revision 081622.pdf
- Managing COVID 8.23.22.pdf
- Parent Right to Know 22-23.pdf
St. Elmo began as a neighborhood school for the Weracoba area or "The Park District" and welcomed 200 children from grades kindergarten through the seventh grade in the fall of 1930. The style of St. Elmo duplicates the Revival styles and ambiance of the surrounding neighborhood. In part, due to St. Elmo, the neighborhood has remained a viable part of the Columbus community.
In the spring of 1990, St. Elmo closed as a neighborhood school and reopened as the site that houses the elementary gifted program as a resource/pull-out model for the Muscogee County School District. It is considered part of the Division of Teaching and Learning, Advanced Programming Department.
The St. Elmo Center for the Gifted and the Muscogee County School District Advanced Learning Department are committed to providing an environment that nurtures the unique learning characteristics, interests, and capabilities of gifted and talented students. Within this environment, students are encouraged to realize their full potential and to use their talents and abilities to reach lofty goals in their educational and social lives.
Through rigor, collaboration, and a gradual release of responsibility for deeper learning, students will develop appropriate skills, concepts, and attitudes that will lead them toward becoming independent, self-directed, life-long learners. Gifted students will be expected to demonstrate profound applications of knowledge and skill in real-world situations and to understand and accept the diversity of self and others.
- St. Elmo Ranked as Top Three Cleanest Schools in MCSD again for 2019 - Rose Albert, Custodian
- "2019 Community Beautification Award" " presented by the Keep Columbus Beautiful Commission
- We serve over 750 students from every elementary school in the district and are still growing!
- We host an annual field trip for 4th and 5th graders and two Problem Based Learning (PBL) Showcase Nights.
- Our "Teacher of the Year" for 2021-2022 is Ms. Michele Freeman. Congratulations, Ms. Freeman!
Partners In Education
Publix, Cross Country Plaza, Columbus, GA
Bruster's Real Ice Cream, Whittlesey Rd., Columbus, GA
We also work closely with the Greater Columbus Association of Gifted Children (GCAGC), a branch of the Georgia Association of Gifted Children (GAGC) and associated with the National Association of Gifted Children (NAGC).