The education requirement for becoming a SUBSTITUTE TEACHER is a minimum of 100 quarter hours or 60 semester hours of accredited college course work. Credits from schools such as business colleges and beauty colleges are not acceptable for meeting the requirements to substitute teach.
Submitting A Substitute Application
To Submit A Substitute Application, Please Follow These Steps:
- Submit an online application.
- In order to expedite your application, request colleges and universities you have attended to send up-to-date OFFICIAL transcripts to the Human Resources Division.
- If you have out-of-state certification or Georgia certification (valid or expired), upload the certificate to the online application.
- Upload unofficial transcripts to the online application
- List current/recent supervisory references under the reference section of the online application. REFERENCES LISTED THAT ARE FRIENDS, RELATIVES, COWORKERS OR MENTORS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Official transcripts may be emailed directly to Applicant Tracking from the institution or mailed to the following address in an envelope sealed by the institution.
Muscogee County School District
Human Resources Division
Attn: Applicant Tracking
P.O. Box 2427
Columbus, GA 31902-2427
Processing the Application
- All applications are prescreened.
- All applications are tracked until they are complete.
- The applicants whose credentials (references, transcripts, certificate) are best suited for the position will be notified as to the next step in the process of hire.
- Approved applicants are notified of the date, time and location of a state required substitute orientation.
- Applicants may check, at any time, the status of their application by going to the online application status page. If you have questions or concerns, please call 706-748-2165
Substitute/Absence Management is a Windows-based software application that automates our employees’ absence reporting, substitute placement, and data analysis processes. Substitute/Absence Management offers MCSD employees secure Web-based access to information about the substitute placement process through a secured website. Substitute/Absence Management can be accessed from any computer with Internet access. Administrators can add jobs with detailed preferences, review jobs, and run reports. Employees can report absences and review schedules. Substitutes can check to see what jobs are available. The automated system arranges substitutes for each absence and provides staff with immediate feedback about the status of jobs.
Employees can also use a Touch-tone telephone to access the same Substitute/Absence Management information. It manages the complete process by using voice prompting to guide the employee and substitute through each step in an orderly manner.
Substitute/Absence Management operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
Documents and Resources
Access to Substitute/Absence Management
Frequently Asked Questions For Employees
How do I get my Substitute/Absence Management log on information?
Email Trudy Allen
to request this information from Substitute/Absence Management.
What if I am unable to put my absence into Substitute/Absence Management?
Contact your school secretary to place the absence in Substitute/Absence Management and advise that you are unable to report.
What if I have questions about putting in an absence?
You can access the training video this page under the Documents and Resources section.
Frequently Asked Questions For Applicants
What are the requirements to substitute teach?
The minimum requirement is 60 eligible semester hours (Non introductory courses with a grade of C or higher) from an GA PSC accredited institution.
What is the first step if I am interested in Substitute Teaching?
You will need to complete an online application under employment/job postings/substitute teacher/apply. You will need to upload your transcripts and teaching certification (if applicable) to the online application. You will be contacted by email if additional information is needed.
Why have I not been contacted regarding the next step in the employment process?
Approximately 40 substitute teacher applicants are processed for hire each month. Teaching Certification/Degree, relevant work history, references and availability are all considerations in hiring the 40 most qualified applicants. Completed application does not guarantee hire.
How often can I substitute teach?
A variety of positions are available for substitutes every day in MCSD.